Moped FAQ

Below we have amassed the most commonly asked questions regarding mopeds, if there is anything you feel we have missed then please drop us a line and we’ll get it added.

What is a moped?

A moped in the UK is a motorcycle that has the following features:

  • maximum design speed not exceeding 50 kilometres per hour (km/h) (about 31 miles per hour (mph)
  • an engine capacity no greater than 50 cc
  • it can be moved by pedal power, if the moped was first used before 1 September 1977

Who can ride a moped?

In the Uk mopeds can be rode from the age of 16 so long as you have a provisional moped license and have passed the Compulsory Basic Training (CBT). Once you have completed the training you will be issued with a DL 196 certificate and from this point you will be entitled to ride your moped as a learner with L-Plates, you will not be allowed to carry a pillion passenger or ride on motorways however.

If you have a car licence…
If you obtained your full car licence before 1 February 2001 you are automatically entitled to ride a moped without L-plates (D-plates in Wales).

If you obtained a full car licence after 1 February 2001 you must first complete a CBT course and obtain a DL 196 certificate to validate your entitlement.

What exactly does a CBT involve?

As a new rider, you are required by law to complete Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) before you can ride on L-plates. The CBT will introduce you to safety equipment and riding gear, basic machine control, and the concepts behind road safety. A qualified instructor will accompany you on a minimum of a two-hour road ride. Having reached a safe and proficient level of riding, you will receive a CBT certificate (DL196). This certificate is valid for two years, and allows you to ride displaying L-plates unaccompanied on the road.

You do have to pay for the course, and the cost can vary depending on a number of factors, eg. if you provide your own bike and helmet and which part of the country you are in.

Do i need insurance?

In order to ride on Britains roads you will need at least third party insurance cover

Do congestion charges apply to mopeds?

Absolutely Not!

Do i have to pay road tax?

Yes all mopeds must be taxed to ride on Britains roads, however the current rates are only £15 a year for a 50cc moped

Does a moped need a MOT?

Mopeds over 3 years old have to obtain an MOT test certificate to continue riding on the road.